At Emory, sustainable living extends beyond implementing sustainable practices and using sustainable resources. Wellbeing initiatives recognize the intrinsic worth of all members of this community and provide programs that support the long-term health of students, faculty, and staff.
Emory is committed to creating a healthy living community in which members have access to recreational, nutritional, and fitness resources, feel a sense of connection to this space, are treated equitably, and are engaged in projects that lead to sustainable development in the greater Atlanta region.
- Emory’s faculty, through the Emory as Place curriculum, has committed to helping students feel connected to the physical community on campus and engage with ethical, spiritual, and intellectual approaches to sustainability and environmental development.
- Members of the Emory community can participate in the Healthy Emory initiative that engages and supports healthy physical lifestyles for individuals through programs focused on recreation, nutrition, and fitness.
- The Student Health and Counseling Services Department and the Faculty Staff Assistance Program offer counseling, referral, and wellbeing services to all students, staff, and faculty.
- Emory University is one of the founding leaders of RCE Greater Atlanta. The Regional Centres of Expertise on Education for Sustainable Development is a regional sustainability network associated with the United Nations, committed to implementing the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals at the local level.
buildings built/renovated to LEED standards
of all employees receive a living wage
of on-site contracted employees receive a living wage
Emory is committed to creating sustainable, healthy, and equitable practices for the students, staff, faculty, and place of Emory University. By 2025:
- Support and extend efforts for social equity and economic opportunity; connect sustainability strategic goals with recommendations of Class and Diversity Committee to enhance access for all students and staff, regardless of means, to the full benefits of the Emory experience.
- Work with local municipalities and partners to develop a resilience assessment and plan for the greater Emory community that addresses health, personal well-being, and climate adaption practices.