- This event has passed.
Virtual Earth Month – Making the Most of the Food You Buy
April 14, 2020
Get in, we’re going shopping! But before we do, we need to plan.
Project Drawdown ranks reducing food waste as the third most significant strategy for reducing global greenhouse gas emissions, and in the U.S., over 30% of edible food is wasted by consumers and retailers.
1. Learn from the U.S. Department of Agriculture how best to interpret food labels in order to make food safety and food waste reduction decisions. http://ow.ly/2Jfk50zdZE6
2. Get some advice from the NRDC on how to Save the Food by planning meals, using imperfect produce, reviving older produce, reducing waste in food preparation, and storing your food to extend its life. https://savethefood.com/
3. Need some inspiration? Check out the American Museum of Natural History‘s video from Earth Day 2019 on how our individual actions can add up: http://ow.ly/1KOo50zdZLv
1. You will save money on groceries.
2. You will make the most of the food you buy.
3. You will help keep food out of landfills.
4. You will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and their contribution to global climate change.
5. You may even value food in a way you never have before.